Sunday, September 23, 2012

Heart Problems - It's not only for Couch Potatoes

I have always been fit whether through running, cycling, mountaineering, skiing, kayaking whatever and for years I was under the impression that my life style made me immune from any possibility of heart problems. After all I was regularly Mountainbiking at a high level and holding my own with youngsters half my age. 

Our usual testing ground, Innerleithen a well known centre in the Scottish Borders, begins with an unrelenting hour long climb, for many a lot longer, to high on the Minch Moor before the downhill fun starts. This climb is unavoidable and for years I had relished it because my light build and cardiovascular system were suited to that kind of effort. However, for some months I had been enjoying it less and less, often trying to get a head start on the climb so I could take things easier. At 59 years of age the obvious answer was I was getting older and, disappointing as it was, I should expect this drop off in performance

On 3rd April this year I started up the climb having managed to sneak away while the rest of the
group were still in the carpark and pretty soon I felt things even harder than was becoming usual, so much so that I stopped and sat down at the side of the track. My hands and forearms had started to feel a bit numb and my breathing had become laboured but by the time the others caught up I was recovered enough to continue. I did note how surprised they were to see that I had stopped to sit down. I was soon forced to have another stop which I attempted to disguise as a requirement to remove a rain jacket as I was too warm but by this time my pals were beginning to suggest that I call it a day.

To cut along story short I stubbornly persisted in going to the top and continued for another 2 hours doing the normal descents. However in response to the concerns of the rest of the group, I agreed to visit my Doctor the following day.

I made an appointment and was delighted to be seen by someone who has been involved in hill running for many years and who might be more open to the idea of someone of my age performing at these levels. I was expecting to be told that I might have to get used to reduced performance as I aged and was surprised when the Dr told me she could detect a heart murmmer. This resulted in a same day admission to the Chest Pain Clinic at the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary quickly followed by the news that I was suffering from Aortic Stenosis and would require Open Heart Surgery to replace the much narrowed valve. I was also informed I may well require a bypass graft.

Stunned I think is the only way to describe how I felt and then sorry for myself and then angry, a whole gamut of emotions as I begun the journey of coming to terms with my new reality.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been surfing online more than 3 hours today,
yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
It is pretty worth enough for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did,
the net will be much more useful than ever before.

Feel free to visit my web site anti cellulite treatment

Addwin Net said...

Kunbalik di blog saya yang kurang bagus ini tapi tentu sangat bermanfaat di Jual Skripsi

Unknown said...

coach outlet, ugg boots, vans pas cher, michael kors, hollister, coach purses, nike air max, ray ban uk, sac guess, ray ban pas cher, mulberry, true religion outlet, hermes, michael kors outlet, oakley pas cher, true religion jeans, lacoste pas cher, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, true religion jeans, nike free run uk, tn pas cher, michael kors, nike air max, burberry, vanessa bruno, lululemon, nike roshe, nike air max, ralph lauren uk, coach outlet, north face, replica handbags, nike blazer, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet, timberland, michael kors, abercrombie and fitch, hollister pas cher, true religion jeans, air force, burberry outlet online, michael kors, michael kors outlet, new balance pas cher, north face, kate spade handbags, hogan

Unknown said...

mont blanc, nike air max, babyliss, mcm handbags, louboutin, herve leger, ghd, hollister, celine handbags, lancel, new balance, nike trainers, valentino shoes, nfl jerseys, reebok shoes, soccer shoes, oakley, vans shoes, p90x workout, soccer jerseys, nike huarache, converse outlet, nike roshe, abercrombie and fitch, bottega veneta, north face outlet, beats by dre, birkin bag, instyler, gucci, mac cosmetics, chi flat iron, ferragamo shoes, insanity workout, ralph lauren, nike air max, jimmy choo shoes, longchamp, wedding dresses, asics running shoes, vans, hollister, timberland boots, iphone cases, baseball bats, hollister, giuseppe zanotti, north face outlet, ray ban, lululemon

Unknown said...

montre pas cher, moncler outlet, moncler, karen millen, moncler, supra shoes, ugg pas cher, wedding dresses, swarovski, moncler, sac louis vuitton pas cher, doudoune canada goose, moncler, louis vuitton, pandora charms, canada goose, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, swarovski crystal, marc jacobs, hollister, moncler, toms shoes, louis vuitton, ugg boots uk, louis vuitton, canada goose uk, coach outlet, louis vuitton, moncler, canada goose, pandora charms, links of london, moncler, canada goose, canada goose outlet, pandora jewelry, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, thomas sabo, juicy couture outlet, pandora jewelry, bottes ugg, canada goose outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, replica watches

Unknown said...

happy new year 2017
new year 2017
happy new year 2017 images
happy new year wishes messages greetings 2017
happy new year messages 2017
happy birthday wishes messages
best whatsapp status
www.bestwhatsappstatuses.com
happy childrens day 2016 whatsapp status
happy pongal 2017 whatsapp status
btechbabu.in
happy valentines day 2017
happy valentines day 2017